Workday Interview Questions and Answers
Large organizations require sophisticated software solutions to manage a variety of operations, and among them, Human Capital Management (HCM) is a critical component. Numerous tasks such as development and financial services administration are simple to manage while using it. Furthermore, it provides several cloud-based applications to its consumers.
Workday is the industry leader in terms of job possibilities for HR and finance. According to a prominent employment site, the average compensation for Workday professionals is $120,000. As a result, there is a high need for specialists in this sector. However, how can you compete for a job in such a competitive market?
The straightforward answer is that you must prepare to stand out from the crowd. As a result, we've compiled a list of the best Workday HCM Interview Questions and Answers to assist you in launching a successful career as a Workday HCM professional.
Most frequently asked Workday Interview Questions
- What is Workday?
- What are the advantages of Workday?
- What types of reports will Workday provide?
- Define Workday HCM.
- Who uses Workday HCM on a regular basis?
- Is Workday HCM API-enabled?
- What are the major HCM product modules?
- What is the difference between a filter and a subfilter?
- Is Workday an Enterprise Resource Planning system?
- How is XSLT used in Workday?
Q1) What is Workday?
- Workday is a new generation of cloud-based applications that service human resources, payroll, and financial needs for organizations.
- Workday is the leader in cloud-based, enterprise applications that combine a lower cost of ownership with an innovative approach for global businesses.
- Workday provides unified Financial Management and Human Capital Management (HCM) applications designed for today's organizations and the way people work.
- Workday is delivered in the cloud and leverages a modern technology platform, which will provide greater information accessibility.
Q2) What are the different modules present in Workday?
Ans: The different modules present in Workday are:
- Workday HCM
- Workday Financial
Q3) What are the advantages of Workday?
Ans:The advantages of Workday are as follows:
- Workday enables 24/7 access to the information over a secure network.
- Workday's SaaS/cloud delivery model allows services to reach customers with a minimal number of servers, reducing energy needs.
- Workday functionality offers employee and manager self-service, enabling staff to update or access their information privately from any computer or mobile device with internet access
- Workday is designed to support the unique needs of higher education.
Q4) Will Workday work on any computer with any internet browser?
Ans: Workday is supported by most internet browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari. For those who need to use older versions of IE (e.g., Darcy or IRES users), you will need to use Chrome, Firefox or Safari to log into Workday.
Q5) What does "ERP" mean and how does it relate to Workday?
Ans: “ERP” is an acronym for “Enterprise Resource Planning” and is a generic industry term for integrated suites of business systems (such as payroll, HR, and finance systems). Workday became ERP for human resources, academic, and payroll business processes as of July 2015.
Do you want to master Workday? Then enroll in "Workday Training" This course will help you to master Workday
Q6) What types of reports will Workday provide?
Ans: HCM, payroll, and financials in Workday will have standard and custom reports according to its primary business focus. Some reports combine information from both the HCM/Payroll and the Financials modules. Reports can have features such as custom prompts, calculated fields, and interactivity, as well as graphics and charts. Data in certain types of reports can also be made available to other applications.
Q7) What sources of information will be used in Workday for reporting in the future?
Ans: In addition to becoming the official source of business information for HCM, payroll, and financials, Workday will also become the main source for your reporting needs whenever possible. Reporting from the Institutional Data Store (IDS) using Cognos or other tools will supplement Workday reporting capabilities and will be used whenever data that do not exist in Workday are needed.
Q8) If I am used to getting my reports through Cognos, where will I get them when Workday goes live?
Ans: If there are critical data that Workday does not handle or if date ranges fall outside of what will exist in Workday, then the Enterprise Data Management (EDM) team will coordinate the use of other systems such as Cognos, Tableau, and the Institutional Data Store (IDS).
Q9) Will every piece of existing data from the mainframe and Workday be available in the IDS?
Ans: No, the IDS is not a backup system. Any data from the mainframe that will no longer be needed will be archived separately. Data that are in Workday will be backed up on Workday servers. The Institutional Data Store (IDS) will only store a subset of Workday data if the data have been identified as our most important data and are a requirement for a critical downstream report or data feed that cannot be handled by Workday or another application.
Q10) Define Workday HCM.
Ans: Workday HCM (Human Capital Management) is a cloud-based application that consolidates several human resource activities such as task management, invoicing, and payroll, as well as talent acquisition, into a single system. Because Workday Software offers a broad set of services, many companies rely on it to meet their demands. Furthermore, it is simple to understand and execute.
Related Article: Workday Integration Tutorial
Q11) What degree of assistance does Workday HCM provide?
Ans: Workday HCM provides the following support options:
- Online assistance
- Knowledge base
- Call assistance
Q12) Describe the primary features of Workday Human Capital Management.
Ans: The primary features are:
- Management of Human Capital
- Payroll Services
- Administration of Objectives Management
- Governance of Succession
- Planning Your Profession and Growth
- Cloud-Based Payroll Co-Sourcing Solutions for Third-Party
Q13) Who uses Workday HCM on a regular basis?
Ans: Mid-sized enterprises and large businesses commonly utilize Workday HCM.
Q14) What sorts of reports are available in Workday?
Ans: Workday provides three distinct forms of reporting:
- Basic - generate simplified reports about leaves, salary, and other areas on a regular basis and publish them as PDF or Excel.
- Advanced - generate reports by connecting two tables, sorting rows, and summarizing on several levels.
- Composite - generate reports that include more sophisticated computations.
Q15) What are the responsibilities of a Workday Human Capital Management consultant?
Ans: The role of the human capital management consultant is to guarantee efficient distribution by designing and building, installing, and evaluating the human capital management system to suit the client's unique requirements.
Q16) What is time monitoring for workdays?
Ans: Workday Time Tracking is a component of a broader system that includes absence management, human capital management, and compensation. By combining everything, you have a central repository of information and integrated actions that assist you in lowering labor expenses, improving efficiency, promoting employee well-being, and positively managing compliances.
[Check Out: Workday HCM Tutorial]
Q17) Can we utilize Workday to track academic information about students?
Ans: No, Everything relating to students, classes, schedules, and grades would be stored in the PeopleSoft Student Portal.
WorkDay HCM Interview Questions
Q18) Is Workday HCM API-enabled?
Q19) Does IDS retain all records from the core and Workday?
Ans: No, it would not retain all existing information. IDS, or Instructional Data Save, will only preserve Workday data that it deems critical for a backend report. And the information, which may be inaccessible to other apps.
Q20) What information sources will Workday employ in the long term for reporting?
Ans: Along with becoming the authoritative source of corporate data for human capital management, Workday would also serve as the primary repository of data for all reporting requirements wherever possible. Analysis out from IDS via Cognos or other technologies will augment Workday's reporting and analysis.
Q21) What are the major HCM product modules?
Ans: The major modules of workday HCM are as follows:
- Administration of the workforce's lifecycle
- Governance of organization
- Compensation administration
- Regulation of absences
- Incentives for employees
Q22) Describe the organizations in Workday.
Ans: An organization is a collection of individuals who work together to accomplish a common goal. An organization is structured in such a way that a parent-child connection is possible. Supervisors at the top of the organizational structure will be able to monitor employees and approve business procedures.
Q23) What distinguishes Workday reporting from that of other SQL-based enterprise resource planning systems?
Ans: Workday Reporting is based on an object-oriented representation of relationships. While interpreting data, we must choose the significant business resource and database schema. SQL ERP systems employ a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS).
Q24) Specify the RaaS report.
Ans: In Workday, we may build custom reports and publish them as web applications. This may be accomplished through the use of the RaaS (Reporting as a Service) gateway. This web service would return data in RSS or JSON format.
Q25) What are the basic types of Workday HCM integrations?
Ans: Workday integrations are classified into three broad categories:
- Workday Studio
- Cloud Connectivity
- Enterprise Data Integrator
Q26) What is the difference between a filter and a subfilter?
Ans: The filter is used to select the main operating objects, while the Sub Filter is used to select the associated business unit.
Q27) What does the term "business process" mean?
Ans: A business process is a series of activities that may be created, executed, and completed by customers. Such business processes are formed by the use of activities, authorization, and checklists.
Q28) What are the Workday business procedures?
Ans: The procedures of Workday business are:
- Conditions of Admission
- State of Exit
- Limitations of Operation
- Criterion of Validation
- Workday Instruction
Q29) Describe Workday's security practices.
Ans: Workday has two distinct types of security policies:
- Workflow Policy - Specifies which network administrators have the ability to access and edit data inside domains.
- Domain Policy - Specify all security groups that are permitted to engage in business processes.
Q30) In Workday, what is the relationship between business objects and data sources?
Ans: Workday saves data in the form of objects. A business object may be thought of as an entity's blueprint, while a data source is the data subset or collection of data that forms the framework.
Workday defines and delivers data sources. A data source may be configured to deliver all replicas of the core business item or it can include Workday-defined filtering rules.
Q31) Is Workday an Enterprise Resource Planning system?
Ans: Yes, Workday is an ERP solution in the real sense of the term. It is a centralized SaaS application for accounting, budgeting, human capital management, project execution, and business analytics. Workday ERP is utilized throughout the company to manage business operations and data transformation.
Q32) What purpose does Workday cloud-connect serve?
Ans: Workday Cloud Connect is an integration of a business suite that provides a centralized solution for managing employee benefits. The Workforce Cloud Connect solution assists businesses in developing, implementing, and managing a variety of benefit programs and prospects.
Q33) What is the purpose of a Workday provided report titled "Data Source"?
Ans: This report is used to establish a connection between business objects, system services, and information sources.
Q34) Define calculated fields.
Ans: Calculated fields are sometimes referenced as programming variables/record buffers in the network. They are referred to as 'CF' in presentations and interfaces.
Q35) How is XSLT used in Workday?
Ans: Workday transforms data using XSLT. When sophisticated logic requires the output of a series of discrete values, XSLT functions are utilized.
Q36) How can we have access to the Workday Delivery document?
Ans: The steps are as follows:
- The Sitemap allows you to browse by category.
- Enter the report's title in the search window.
- Workday Regular Reports can be generated.
Q37) What is a Web Services Description Language (WSDL)?
Ans: WSDL is used to specify the structure in which XML files should be received as intake or to define the outcome of Workday Microservices.
Q38) How would you explain the Area Override Solution?
Ans: Area override solutions are used to introduce additional fields, such as computed fields, into the output when those domains are not provided via any other solution.
Q39) What purpose does a diagnostic audit serve?
Ans: A diagnostic audit maintains data on qualified core port entries. Both are.html files.
What do I need to know for a Workday interview? ›
- What is Workday? ...
- What are the different modules present in Workday? ...
- What are the advantages of Workday? ...
- Will Workday work on any computer with any internet browser? ...
- What does “ERP” mean and how does it relate to Workday? ...
- What types of reports will Workday provide?
Answered by current and former employees at Workday
When asked in an Indeed survey about the difficulty of their interview at Workday, most respondents said it was medium. Indeed's survey asked over 35 respondents whether they felt that their interview at Workday was a fair assessment of their skills. 91% said yes.
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Why should we hire you?
- What's something that you didn't like about your last job?
- Why do you want this job?
- How do you deal with conflict with a co-worker?
- Here's an answer for you.
3 golden interview rules: be prepared, be professional, and most importantly, be yourself. The call you've been waiting for has come. A hiring manager wants to interview you.What are the three 3 P's of attending a job interview? ›
So my three Ps of interview preparation are, past, people and personal, but more on these shortly. The next thing to think about is what your preparation looks like.Does Workday negotiate salary? ›
If you think you and your skill set should be valued higher than your offer, negotiate your salary! 36% of men and 71% of women at Workday said they negotiated their salaries. On average, Workday employees earn $147,573. Workday ranks in the Top 10% for compensation in San Francisco.
On average, it takes about five to 10 hours to properly prepare for an interview. This amount of time is often enough to review your resume, research the company and hiring manager, and practice basic interview questions and answers.Can you fail a working interview? ›
Even highly qualified candidates can inadvertently blow an interview due to nervousness or inexperience. Although disappointing, failed interviews provide an excellent opportunity to learn from mistakes and land an even better job.What are tricky interview questions? ›
- What are your weaknesses? ...
- Why do you want to work here? ...
- Why are you leaving your current role? ...
- Tell me a bit about yourself? ...
- Why should we hire you? ...
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? ...
- Describe a time you have worked with a difficult person.
- Being a perfectionist.
- Being too hard on yourself.
- Getting too caught up in small details.
- Getting nervous about speaking to groups or on the phone.
- Ignoring or rationalizing away constructive feedback.
- Locking in on a certain idea or way of doing things.
How do you politely close a interview last minute? ›
When you call, apologize for the inconvenience, give them new days you're available for a reschedule (if applicable), and tell them why you're canceling. They will appreciate your honesty. Talking directly to your interviewer is best, but if you can't do that, leave a message and send a follow-up email.What are the six P's of an interview? ›
Landing an interview doesn't mean landing the job, because selling your skills and abilities depends on you: Prepare, Practice, Presentation, Powerful Interview, Post-Interview, and Ponder the Position are the six Ps that ensure the best possible outcome for you and the interviewer.What 3 items should you always bring to an interview? ›
To your interview bring a pen, 3 copies of your resume, and a list of references. Optionally, take a folder or portfolio, pack of chewing gum, and a list of question to the interviewer.What are 4 good interview techniques? ›
- Introduce yourself in a courteous manner.
- Have a firm handshake.
- Act professionally: Dress appropriately! ...
- Keep your answers brief and concise.
- Ask questions.
- Maintain a conversational flow.
- Smile, nod, give nonverbal feedback to the interviewer.
- Be enthusiastic: have a positive attitude.
“Over the years, I have acquired relevant skills and experience, which I shall bring to your organization. I have also worked tirelessly on my communication abilities and teamwork skills, which I will put to use in my future career, which would be in your organization if I am selected for the position.What are the 5 top interview techniques? ›
- The STAR Method. The STAR method is a great way to answer behavioral interview questions. ...
- Be on Time. ...
- Be Prepared for Common Questions. ...
- Be Confident, but Not Arrogant. ...
- Ask Questions. ...
- Ending the Interview on a Positive Note.
When a hiring manager says "we will be in touch" after an interview, it typically means that they intend to contact you when they have made their official hiring decision.Does Workday pay well? ›
range from an average of $80,572 to $169,685 a year. Workday, Inc. employees with the job title Senior Software Engineer make the most with an average annual salary of $148,336, while employees with the title Engagement Manager make the least with an average annual salary of $103,481.Can you lose a job offer if you negotiate salary? ›
It is possible to lose a job offer while negotiating a salary, but Appiah said it only happens in certain contexts. The job offer tends only to be rescinded if the candidate is “negotiating for the sake of negotiating” or the number they are proposing is unreasonable.What day of the week is best to negotiate salary? ›
- Do your research. Never bring up a salary negotiation before you've done your research. ...
- Be strategic about when you ask. ...
- But don't wait too long. ...
- Shoot for a Friday, if you can. ...
- Negotiate in person, if possible. ...
- But also put it in writing.
Should I memorize interview answers? ›
Recurring practice: Moving forward, rehearse your answers once every two – three weeks as needed. At this point they should be fairly solidified in your head. When it comes to getting started, the best time is now. It takes time to prepare and memorize your answers and you never know when a job interview will pop up.Is the first or second interview harder? ›
Compared to the first interview, a second interview will likely involve more preparation, more people, more questions, more intensity, and more pressure — in addition to more likelihood that you will land the job. Do prepare —even more than you did for the first interview.What is the STAR method in interviews? ›
The STAR method is a structured manner of responding to a behavioral-based interview question by discussing the specific situation, task, action, and result of the situation you are describing.What are 5 mistakes you should not make during an interview? ›
- Being unprepared.
- Dressing inappropriately.
- Talking too much or not enough.
- Criticising previous employers or colleagues.
- Failing to ask questions.
- How to succeed at interview.
- Arriving Late. ...
- Jumping Into The Discussion Of Pay And Benefits. ...
- Answering Your Phone. ...
- Talking Badly About Your Previous Or Current Employer. ...
- Being Brief, Hiding From Questions, Or Talking Too Much. ...
- Not Asking Questions. ...
- Dressing Inappropriately. ...
- Being Unprepared.
Some interviewers will appreciate the extra elaboration on a question you think you botched, but to others, it will simply draw more attention to your mistake. So, it's important to pinpoint if the errors from your interview are important enough to bring up again—and if bringing them up is going to help you.How do you handle stress? ›
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including those on social media. ...
- Take care of yourself. ...
- Take care of your body. ...
- Make time to unwind. ...
- Talk to others. ...
- Connect with your community- or faith-based organizations.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol.
Answer “what is your greatest weakness” by choosing a skill that is not essential to the job you're applying to and by stressing exactly how you're practically addressing your weakness. Some skills that you can use as weaknesses include impatience, multitasking, self-criticism, and procrastination.How do you handle stress and pressure? ›
- Decide what you can do. Pinpoint which parts of the situation you have the power to change or influence for the better. ...
- Get support. Find someone to talk to about your situation. ...
- Care for yourself. Take especially good care of yourself when stress in your life is high.
- Be inquisitive. ...
- Arrive early. ...
- Make the most of body language. ...
- Display kindness. ...
- Bring multiple copies of your resume. ...
- Mention something you have in common. ...
- Build rapport with small talk.
What are three strengths? ›
- meeting deadlines, targets or goals.
- mentoring and coaching others.
- learning new things.
- coming up with creative ideas to improve something, or make something new.
- analysing complex data in order to draw clear and simple conclusions.
- working well as part of a team.
You can make a good first impression by greeting the interviewer with a firm handshake, a warm smile and eye contact. As in all cultures, it is important to give the appropriate response to the greeting.How do you soft close an interview? ›
- “I am X which will help me be successful in this role because X.”
- “I have done X, which will help me do X in the future here.”
- “I will do X in this position because I am X.”
Hello [Name], Unfortunately, I must cancel our interview for [date and time]. I sincerely apologize for sending this notice so close to our scheduled appointment, but I am no longer available for this position. I greatly appreciate your time and consideration, and I hope to stay connected.What are the first 2 things you should do after an interview? ›
- Send a thank you note within 24 hours of the interview. ...
- If you do not hear from the employer after the hiring timeline they initially indicated follow up professionally, and only once. ...
- Evaluate your performance.
- Consider what you're going to wear.
- Do a warm up (even if it's in the loo)
- Remember that lack of experience can be a good thing.
- Ask yourself if the job is the right fit for you.
- Don't try to fake confidence, instead sit with your nerves.
- Be present.
- Be as authentic as possible.
- List your skills that match those the employer is seeking. ...
- Narrow down your list to three to five particularly strong skills.
- Next to each skill, note an example of how you have applied that strength in the past.
Why you shouldn't say it: A classic interview mistake is to answer the greatest weakness question with a strength. Saying that you're a perfectionist or a workaholic isn't going to impress anyone. In fact, you'll sound just like everyone else who didn't get the job.How do I prepare for my first Workday? ›
- Prepare to learn a lot.
- Create a list of questions.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Study company tools.
- Practice your elevator pitch.
- Get to know your new team.
- Bring positive energy.
- Show interest in your team.
What is the interview process at Workday? ›
The interview process may also involve technical or skills assessments, and multiple rounds of interviews with different team members. The final step is an offer or rejection decision based on the overall performance of the candidate during the interview process.How do I prepare for my Workday? ›
- Prepare your clothes the night before. ...
- Plan your day the night before. ...
- Use a master to do list. ...
- Apply the ABCDE method and the 80/20 rule. ...
- Get up 2 hours earlier. ...
- Meditate for 5 minutes. ...
- Eat a proper breakfast. ...
- Work 2 hours before going to work.
Workday is the cloud-based software package designed and developed to manage enterprise resource planning, human capital management, and financial management applications. Workday has multiple features used by every type of organization or small, medium, and large businesses.What breaks do you get during the Workday answer? ›
Breaks during the work shift allow employees to rest during the working day. Normally they take the form of rest breaks, coffee- or tea breaks and meal breaks. They can also be taken for toilet breaks, prayer breaks or breaks to address other personal needs.
Schedule Your Breaks
Some argue people go from fully focused to fatigued every 90 minutes, so taking a break every 75--90 minutes works best for them[*]. Desktime, an app used to track time and productivity, supports a specific 17-minute break every 52 minutes[*].
- Tell the truth. ...
- Listen carefully to the interviewer. ...
- Never slight a teacher, friend, employer, or your university. ...
- Watch your grammar. ...
- Be prepared for personal questions. ...
- Wait for the interviewer to mention salary and benefits. ...
- Don't expect a job offer at the first interview. ...
- Close on a positive, enthusiastic note.
Any job interview can be broken down into four general stages: introductions, broad questions and answers, position-related questions, and the conclusion. Take a look at some of our sample interview questions and questions you can ask an interviewer. Think about when they may come up during the stages described below.What are 3 things to do at the beginning of the interview? ›
- It's nice to meet you. ...
- Thank you for meeting with me today. ...
- I've read the job description. ...
- I've researched your company. ...
- I'd like to learn more about the company.